Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Great Smoky Mountain National Park

Today we drove to the top of the Great Smoky Mountain National Park. I think Peg is trying to rid me of my fear of height, but it is not working!! Actually, the drive was not bad at all, but by the time we got up on the mountain, it was a bit chilly. Neither of us brought coats and I was in a tee shirt and shorts!

One of the pullover spots, Newfound Gap, is where you can stand on the border of Tennessee and North Carolina at the same time. So Peg wanted her picture doing just that! This is also the place that President Roosevelt dedicated with a monument on the hillside.

We drove on further to the end of the mountain road to a place called Clingman's Dome. You park and walk about 1/2 a mile to the top of the mountain and a concrete observation tower. Fortunately, the path is asphalt but it is a really steep climb. We stopped a couple of times but many people were stopping more than that. It was quite cold near the top so I guess I kept moving to keep semi-warm. A cold front was moving in and the winds started to pick up as well. Peg went to the top of the dome once on the mountain top and I made it half way up the concrete ramp then I decided it was too high for me! Peg took a few pictures from the dome of the ramp and the view, which was limited that day. A fellow "climber" took Peg's picture at the top of the dome! The walk back (downhill) was much easier!!

While at a rest area, we interviewed a hiker who was traveling 500 miles, on foot, along the Appalachian Trail. Not to be out done, I had to hike a few feet on the trail as well....And I have proof!

No comments: