Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Hendersonville, NC and the Bridge from Hell

As the title states, we encountered a concrete bridge on a back road just outside of Hendersonville, NC. Let me explain further as you look at our basement door pictures....

Our wonderful GPS took us on another joy ride as we approached Hendersonville. Peg had checked the routing on the GPS the morning we left and it was showing the correct directions to get to the Elks Lodge in
Hendersonville. When we exited off the main highway there, the GPS told us to take a right onto Upward Road. Peg thought that odd since she was expecting a left turn. We followed the GPS anyway and it lead us out into the countryside onto some small, narrow and curvy roads. I started into my panic mode when we began going down into a small valley away from town.

I saw a man pull out of his driveway and I stopped and asked how to get back to town without having to unhook the car, if possible. He said he was going into town and would lead us there through some back roads. So...Down we went into this valley along these small roads. I was really not happy when I saw a sign stating that there were no more truck turnarounds after this point. Onward we pushed following our leader. At the bottom of the windy road appeared a one lane bridge with a left hand curve going into it. I noticed the bridge was rated at 15 tons and we weighed about 18.5 tons! NOT good. I also knew I could not get a good enough angle to tackle the bridge straight on, but there was no way to back up and no where left to go. The gentleman leading us stopped just after the bridge, apparently realizing where he had lead us. He waited and watched.

I made the turn as wide as I could and made haste across the bridge. We were about half way across the bridge when we heard a disturbing noise. At the time, Peg thought the bridge was collapsing and we were headed into the canyon below. I knew it was the cement attacking my basement doors since I could not get a straight enough angle to clear the sides of the span. When I looked back in the mirror, I saw the fender well pointing out away from the coach and I just caught a glimpse of our towed vehicle barely missing the same abutment. As I have said a few times before, I was NOT a happy camper!

The guy leading us continued on and I felt I could not stop or I would again be lost, so I followed. Several up and downs, curves and turns later, we made it back to town. The GPS now changed its mind again and it looked like its brain fart had cleared up and was now leading us correctly to the Elks Lodge.

Oh, one other note. This Elks Lodge is in the middle of town off a very narrow main road to a very narrow secondary road. I could barely make the turn onto the secondary road and then into their parking lot. I believe my stress level had reached an all time peak today!

I got out and accessed the damage. It was raining fairly hard (of course it was) and I got out some screws to fasten the fiberglass wheel well back to the frame. I could do nothing about the basement doors, but I did secure the water heater panel so it would not fall off.

Peg made a call to Buddy Gregg's RV in Knoxville, TN (I was too irritated) to tell them we needed their body shop for repairs and they said to bring it in and they will get right on it. That would be tomorrow. Today we parked the coach and took the car to our friends house in Tryon, NC. They had called wondering where we were since we had made plans to have dinner with them. Don and Gloria now understood why we were late! Can anyone say "Libation"......

No comments: