Thursday, August 7, 2008

Devil's Tower-Wyoming

I first must apologize. It has been a couple of months since I updated our blog. We were home in Ocean Isle Beach (May-July) and have been back on the road since. So....Here we go again. I will update things in reverse so I can keep up on our current travels so please, bear with me.

We drove the motorhome to Devil's Tower on our way down to Yellowstone National Park. I thought we could park at the visitors center, look at the tower, then head out. Not so!! We actually had to unhook the car in a trailer section before getting to Devil's Tower and take the car in
about a mile to see the area.

I have always wanted to see this rock formation. I must admit, the movie Close Encounters of the Third Kind really piqued my interest in this place so many years ago. So here I am, standing in
front of the tower. Pretty wild!

Peg and I took a short walk on the path that surrounds the base of Devil's Tower. This shot of the rocks that have broken away from the tower over the years is pretty dramatic. Reading the sign posted here, almost no rocks have broken away from the tower in recent years. It is pretty amazing to see this structure from the base.

Wonder what it looks like from the top.
Well, these two guys saw it first hand. It took them 5.5 hours to climb the tower to the top. We were there mid-afternoon and they had just gotten to the summit. This photo shows the two guys as they were descending. They are about mid-way down. It takes about one hour to repel down to the bottom. Double click on the photo to get a better look at the two climbers...

No comments: